1. The annual Hussle for Hope charity bike ride will be Saturday morning on the streets of Cedartown.
The event raises money for breast cancer research and awareness programs.
Late sign-ups will take place around 7:30 a.m. A short ceremony honoring cancer survivors and talking about fund-raising goals will take place before 8:25 a.m. on Main Street in downtown Cedartown.
At 8:30 a.m., a ribbon will be cut starting the 5K race north up Main Street. Riders will turn left in front of the courthouse to College Street, where they will turn right to head north to Lakeside Drive. Riders will continue on to North Main Street, coming out where the former Enmark gas station (now closed) was located. Riders will then continue south back to the downtown area.
Cedartown Police will have streets blocked off and will be directing traffic during the race.
Most streets will be reopened to traffic after the race, but part of the downtown area will continue to be blocked off for a block party.
Organizers said 188 people took part in the event last year. As of Friday afternoon, 245 people were registered for Saturday’s event.
2. The Jake Puryear Detachment #1020 Marine Corps League will meet Oct. 8 at the Rome-Floyd County Library, 205 Riverside Parkway. Coffee, donuts and camaraderie will be start at 9:30 a.m., business meeting is at 10 a.m. and a speaker will follow at 11 a.m. The 236th Marine Corps Dinner and elections will be discussed. Bring a new member or one that hasn’t attended lately. For more information call Dick Richter at 706-857-7995.
3. Polk County Democratic Commmitte will meet today at the Cedartown Depot. All interested citizens are encouraged to attend.
4. The Party in Pink Zumbathon will take place today from noon until 2 p.m. and will benefit Susan G. Komen For The Cure and it's global non-profit partners. The event is hosted and sponsored by Patricia Madden and LifeQuest Fitness. LifeQuest Fitness 770 North Main Street Cedartown, Ga 30125. The tickes are available at LifeQuest Fitness and we are asking $6advance and $8.00 at the door donation.
5. "Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf" will air at 1 p.m. at the Cedartown Library as part of their Cinema Saturdays program.
1. County Line Baptist Church, 2676 Vinson Mountain Road, Rockmart, will have its annual Homecoming Service
toda at 10:30 a.m. Bro. Scott Bailey will be the guest speaker and the Vinson Mountain Bluegrass Boys
will be the featured singers. Pastor Steve Thomas invites everyone to attend.
2. Truth and Life Ministry is a new church located on McArthur Street led by brother John Vines. Sunday morning services are held at 11 a.m. each week, evening services are held at 6 p.m.
3. Cedartown First United Methodist Church will hold Sunday morning worship service at 11 a.m.
4. Cedartown First Presbyterian Church will hold Sunday morning worship service at 11 a.m.
5. Friendly Baptist WMU will have a hobo dinner on Sunday, Oct. 9 after the morning service. Adult plates are $5 and children plates (12 and under) are $2.50. Proceeds go to help some needy family of the church. Everyone invited.
If you have an event you would like added to the PolkFishwrap, contact Jake Carter firstname.lastname@example.org or call 770-748-1520.